20130416

No lesser people!

Letter a friend sent to the Prime Minister of Australia recently:

Dear  Prime Minister,
I applaud your moves to make educational funding more reflect need than privilege.

I notice in the press coverage of this policy a disturbing reference to people of 'low socio-economic...'. I am deeply concerned that a Labor government would countenance the labeling of people with smaller incomes as being of a lower 'social' group. There are no lower social groups; all people have equal dignity and are equally participants in democracy.

I hope that the use of this terminology which looks as though it ranks people (she's of a 'higher' group than him) is the press interpretation of your government's policy. I would expect that a labor government would only refer to what is objectively measurable: that is, people's income levels. Just because I have a smaller income than someone else, doesn't mean that I'm their social inferior. Such usage should be anathema to a labor government and I urge  you to ensure that your ministers and staff are careful to reflect a core labor value that all are equal socially; its only our incomes that differ. That can be measured and can attract a relevant policy response.

What on earth would the policy response be to people of a 'lower social group'? Perhaps labeling them serfs or peasants would be the way?

No comments:

Post a Comment